- Criminal Law
Admitted to the Bar:
- Alberta, 2020
- J.D. (University of Alberta), 2019
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
Kayla is a criminal defence lawyer with BARR LLP. She graduated from the University of Alberta Faculty of Law in 2019 and was admitted to the Law Society of Alberta in 2020.
While studying law, Kayla was actively involved with Student Legal Services of Edmonton where she assisted individuals who could not afford a lawyer or did not qualify for Legal Aid. During the summer, she also operated a legal clinic at the Boyle Street Community Centre where she represented marginalized community members struggling with homelessness and poverty. In her final year of law school, Kayla gained considerable experience through an internship at Legal Aid Alberta’s Youth Criminal Defence Office.
Kayla has successfully defended clients charged with serious offences and ensures that her clients are fully informed at every stage. She regularly meets with clients who are being held in custody to review disclosure with them and to discuss trial strategy and potential defences.
Kayla has appeared in the Provincial Court and the Court of Queen’s Bench in many locations across Alberta. She has conducted hundreds of successful bail hearings and numerous trials, preliminary inquiries, and sentencing hearings.
Kayla can assist you in the following areas:
- Drug related offences such as possession of drugs and trafficking drugs;
- Firearms and other weapons related offences;
- Violent offences such as robbery, extortion, kidnapping, assault, and uttering threats;
- Driving related offences such as impaired and dangerous operation, and flight from police;
- Property related offences such as break and enter, theft, mischief, arson, and possession of stolen property;
- Monetary related offences such as fraud and forgery;
- Sexual assault and interference;
- Traffic and other regulatory offences.
If you require assistance or have any questions, please contact Kayla to schedule a free and confidential consultation.